9.06.2010























Home © Andrea Bartley

This image is a result of one of my visits home during the summer. I had the opportunity to go home to Zionsville, Indiana to shoot a wedding for a friend. One of my favorite things to do while visiting home is to drive around town to see all of my old familiar hang-out spots. New shopping mall strips are being built on the outskirts of my town, much to the chagrin of the locals who have lived in town their entire lives, and so each time I visit more of these spots are being replaced. I am opposed to the new construction as well, but I realize that there is nothing that I can do about it. This site is an abandoned farm house that rests on several acres of lovely farmland that has overgrown with daisies and tall grasses. I have biked and driven past several times without mustering up the courage to explore the area with my camera, but with each passing year and all of the changes that have come about, I did not want to miss another chance to immortalize this farm house.

Although I have photographed abandoned buildings before, the focus of my photograph is usually a human subject. This time I am more driven to create an image that evokes nostalgia in myself. It is more of a document of what is there now and what might soon be gone. It is unlike my previous work because of the lack of a human subject, and I am not sure that I want to continue seriously photographing abandoned buildings. I will continue to explore this sense of nostalgia with my work and perhaps direct my attention toward a human subject instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment