12.08.2009

Q&A: Darren Hauck














© Darren Hauck

Todd Langkamp: My first question is how did you first get into photography? Was there a moment you realized that you wanted to continue it as a career?

Darren Hauck: When i was 10 i asked for a camera, it was out of the blue really I can not even remember why i wanted one at that point but i knew i wanted one. After that i used it here and there but it really did not settle in that i wanted to take pictures until i was late in high school. From there it really took off in college, but i was always looking at photographs in magazines like NGS and Time and such. The typical thing adventure news seeing things that were vastly different then what i knew already.













© Darren Hauck

Todd Langkamp: You have said that you have been to more countries than you have states. Which country has been your favorite to be in?
Darren Hauck: Growing up my family never went on vacations, i think we went on one in Florida when i was about 10. Besides that we stuck around home and spent our summers on Lake Winnebago, which was great fun. So after college i decided to start to travel, I have good friends who have a place in Warsaw Poland and that was my first trip. Eastern Europe is great i really like it but the winters are ruff. So i think one area that i would like to go back to is central Asia, It is so different then where i grew up that it is just filled with so many interesting things. But to be honest there are so many places I have never been to that I would rather go somewhere new then return to a place i have already been. If i have not been there I would like to go to it, pretty simple i guess.














© Darren Hauck

Todd Langkamp: You often photograph conflicsts and tragedies. How do different groups in these conflicts (Militaries, Revolutionaries, Refugees, etc.) feel about you as a photographer taking their photo? Do they view you as an annoyance, a threat, or do they welcome you taking their photo?

Darren Hauck: Subjects in difficult situations vary on their acceptance to being photographed. Some see it as a voice to the outside world that they would never have normally and some see it as a problem I have been yelled at on more then one occasion. I mean no matter what you are there to try and tell people what is going on, with out the raw true images, how are people to kn
ow
what is happening. I do not think my pictures will put a end to suffering or anything like that, but I do hope it will bring awareness that will lead to intervention or aid. And well more times then not the military is annoyed with my presence.














©Darren Hauck

Todd Langkamp: Is it difficult for you to photograph images of these conflicts, death, tragedy and violence every day? How do you deal with the emotions and memories that come along with it?

Darren Hauck: These situations where death and violence and suffering are your subjects they will always leave a imprint on you. Some times its a direct effect or others it shows up later on, for me more times then not when i am working and seeing a lot of death i just start to have really vivid dreams. These can be good or bad, I guess its just my way of dealing with it.
Todd Langkamp: What is the most challenging assignment you have had? What whas the most enjoyable assignment you have had?


Darren Hauck: Most challenging assignment is all of them, I mean some have more logistical or access problems but to me I put forth the same effort on my work. Sometimes when very little is going on it makes things harder, but you work through it. Its the way it is, these things are all like puzzles you get piece by piece until you have your complete story. For me everyday that I can work as a photographer covering life and what is going on around me is a great day. I don't work well when I have to report to a office or anything like that.














© Darren Hauck

Todd Langkamp: Lastly, Do you have any advice for aspiring photographers/photojournalists like myself?

Darren Hauck:My advice is find a time machine go back to the late 70's and start your career then!! I hope the future and magazines and what ever form of showing our work figures its self out soon I mean at this rate now it will not be a possible avenue to make a living. Some big decisions need to be made on behalf of our industry but really on behalf of the public, because with out the true journalist working the whole world will suffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment