9.24.2010



















Self-Portrait © Lauren Howie Laur

Howie Laur, two last names no hyphen /rhymes with cauliflower/ Lauren Kathryn named after my great grandmother. I was born in Milwaukee and raised in Mequon, WI. I am an only child of my mother and one of five of my father. Contrary to popular belief I am not a spoiled brat. My mother is a psychotherapist and my father is sort of a jack of all trades. My family and I have the United States covered in each direction, my older sister in California, my older brother in Texas and my younger twin brother and sister in Massachusetts. I travel, as much as possible and anywhere I am able to go. I am blessed to have a large, loving and at times a little wild family. Okay, a little is an understatement, who else has wrapping paper fights every Christmas. As a little girl I enjoyed being in front of the camera /too much/ but today I am usually only behind it. My home flooded in 2008 /we live on the Milwaukee River/ and have no basement. This was my jumping off point to begin documenting my life. I didn't always know what I wanted to do when I grew up, but nothing has felt more fitting then photographing the world that created who I am now. At the moment I am 20 /almost 21/ going on 30, single for the time being and looking forward to life after 22 years of schooling. My favorite food is mashed potatoes, color is red and camera is a Holga. I have had the opportunity to have my work displayed twice /coming up on the third/ during Milwaukee's Gallery Night at Tulip Restaurant. My style is still in development, but am currently focused on place and determining if where we are is who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment