8.31.2009













Pyong Choi © Priscilla Whitenight

This summer I was involved with an internship at the Milwaukee Public Museum. The images I had accumulated were more for the viewer, not myself. I was photographing artifacts but had no deep connection with any of the objects. This is the one photograph that I've been drawn to over the summer -- a portrait of my mother. This photograph was a challenge, my mother rarely enjoys her picture being taken. In this photograph, through her gestures and facial expressions, the viewer gets a real sense of who my mother is from 2 split moments in time.
Pyong Choi is not like any of my other photographs I have taken before. I have always been more attracted to photographing objects rather than people. This was just a rare occasion where I was able to experience my mother with her guard down.

No comments:

Post a Comment